Why Choose a Multi-Carrier Shipping Approach?
#1: Expand Your Reach with Ease
Scaling your business is a top priority, but it shouldn’t be a complicated process. A multi-carrier shipping approach offers the flexibility to add new carriers quickly and seamlessly. Let’s take the example of one EasyPost customer that ships about 2 million unique handmade crafts and gifts per year. As they sought to expand their business by adding another warehouse and diversifying their carrier mix, they ran into efficiency and scale challenges.
This is where they turned to a multi-carrier shipping approach. By doing so, they increased the number of their distribution centers by 200% and reduced the time to add additional carriers by at least 90%. They were able to take advantage of regional, national, and even international carriers.
This is just one example of how a multi-carrier approach can drive your business growth and expansion, making the entire process efficient and flexible. Using multiple carriers helps you expand your footprint, tap into new markets, and serve customers in various regions without the headaches of complex integrations.
#2: Ensure Reliable and Timely Deliveries
Reliability and speed in shipping aren’t just important, it’s critical. A recent study found that 85% of consumers will not shop with a company again after a single bad shipping experience. Any delays can lead to lost customers and decreased customer loyalty. By leveraging a multi-carrier shipping strategy, you can prevent disruptions caused by carrier-specific issues like delays or capacity constraints. When you rely on just one carrier, you’re at the mercy of their system. Using multiple carriers spreads the risk and ensures more reliable delivery.
Delivering a superior customer experience is non-negotiable in today’s competitive landscape. By leveraging multiple carriers, you can choose the carrier that best meets your customers’ expectations for each specific shipment. Whether it’s faster delivery, specialized services, or enhanced tracking capabilities, you have the flexibility to select the carrier that aligns with your customer’s preferences. Keep your customers happy and loyal for the long haul.
#3: Make Data-Driven Decisions
Shipping data is a goldmine of insights waiting to be discovered. With a multi-carrier approach, you gain access to valuable analytics that can empower your decision-making process. Analyze shipping data to identify carrier performance, cost-effectiveness, and transit times. This enables you to strategically select carriers that align with your business objectives and optimize your supply chain.
Every business is unique, and the shipping solutions you adopt should adapt to your specific needs. A multi-carrier approach offers the flexibility to tailor your shipping strategy according to your requirements. It allows you to customize shipping solutions, explore new routes, and experiment with different services. Stay agile, keep innovating, and steer your logistics operations toward success.
Ready to embark on the multi-carrier journey?
Here’s a roadmap to help you get started:
- Assess Your Shipping Needs: Take a close look at your shipping requirements, including package sizes, delivery destinations, and desired delivery speeds. Understanding your specific needs will guide you in selecting the right carriers to partner with.
- Research and Evaluate Carriers: Conduct thorough research to identify carriers that align with your business goals. Consider factors such as their coverage areas, delivery capabilities, reliability, and pricing structures. Look for carriers that offer specialized services or have expertise in your target markets.
- Implement a Shipping Management System: Invest in a robust shipping management solution or shipping API that supports multi-carrier integration. This system will serve as your control tower, allowing you to efficiently manage shipments, compare carrier rates, track deliveries, and generate labels. Look for a system that offers the flexibility to connect with multiple carriers seamlessly.
- Test and Optimize: Start small by testing a few carriers and services to assess their performance and compatibility with your operations. Monitor key metrics such as delivery times, customer satisfaction, and cost-effectiveness. Use this data to optimize your carrier selection and shipping processes continuously.
- Embrace Data Analytics: Leverage shipping analytics tools to gain insights into carrier performance, cost analysis, and delivery trends. Identify opportunities for improvement, such as optimizing routes, negotiating better rates, or streamlining packaging processes. Let the data guide your decision-making and help you achieve greater efficiency.
- Train and Educate Your Team: Ensure that your team members are familiar with the multi-carrier shipping approach and the tools and systems you’ve implemented. Provide training on carrier selection, shipping guidelines, and customer service best practices. Collaboration and knowledge-sharing are essential for a successful transition to a multi-carrier strategy.
EasyPost & idyn: Powering Your Shipping Success
When it comes to managing your shipping needs, why restrict yourself to one solution when you can have the best of both worlds? Together, EasyPost and idyn offer a comprehensive solution that empowers businesses to optimize their shipping strategies.
EasyPost simplifies shipping logistics by offering pre-built integrations with a vast network of carriers. Whether you need to compare rates, generate labels, track shipments, or validate addresses, EasyPost’s Shipping API integrates easily with your existing systems, providing you with all the tools you need to manage your shipping operations. idyn’s ShipIT 365 platform integrates seamlessly with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central, allowing you to streamline your shipping processes even further. With the integration, you gain access to over 1000 international carriers directly from your Business Central platform. idyn becomes your one-stop solution to connect to carriers and automate your shipping process.
In combination, EasyPost and idyn help businesses overcome shipping challenges with a mix of robust technology and extensive carrier integration options. The result? Businesses can streamline their shipping processes, improve customer satisfaction, and ultimately drive growth.
Author: Lori Boyer, Senior Marketing Communications Manager